The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme has been in existence since October 2000 by a donation of US$210m from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge and aims to provide educational opportunities for International students to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others.
The GCS is the largest ever single donation to a UK university. Scholarships are awarded to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue and complete their degree program in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
The selection criteria are:
- outstanding intellectual ability
- leadership potential
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- a good fit between the applicant’s qualifications and aspirations and the postgraduate programme at Cambridge.
- The University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate*
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£14,900 for 12 months at the 2017-18 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months)
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
About the scholarship
- Academic development funding – from £500 to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for a first child and up to £4,320 for a second child (2017-18 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your Ph.D. (the Trust does not fund other field work costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Some fourth year funding for Ph.D. Scholars may be provided
- A citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge:
- Ph.D. (three-year research-only degree)
- MSc or MLitt (two-year research-only degree)
- One year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
Eligible Regions: Open for all (except citizens of United Kingdom)
This scholarship is for both undergraduate and postgraduate students, all applications must be submitted online in the university on or before 1st March, 2018
Note: All applicants must apply online through the website.